This step-by-step process will show how to communicate with a Chemyx syringe pump using TeraTerm for Windows. If you are unable to communicate with the pump, most of the time is due to an incompatible cable.
- Connect your pump. Make sure the power is on and your pump is connected to a computer via RS232 cable.
- Download TeraTerm (a free program) if you do not already have it.
- Open TeraTerm. Make sure other programs are not open that will attempt to communicate with the pump. For example, LabVIEW.
- Select ‘Serial’ Option and select the ‘Port’ from the dropdown that the pump is connected and then click ‘OK’.
- If you do not know what port you are using you can find it by doing the following. In Windows, go to ‘Device Manager’. Once the window opens you will see a section for ‘Ports’ (COM & LPT). Select ports to see which port you are using.
- Once the port is selected. Next, click ‘Setup’. Under ‘Setup’ select the ‘Serial port…’ option.
- In the ‘Serial port setup’ window, select the appropriate baud rate for your pump.
- Enter the following command ‘help’ and press enter. If your pump is connected properly you should see the following response.
- If your pump is not connected properly you will see garbled response as you can see below.